Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Monterrey: Mountains and Federales

First, the Mountains. The city of Monterrey, Nuevo Laredo is surrounded by very impressive mountains that loom over the highway that goes around the town. Some of these mountains are part of Parque Nacional Cumbres de Monterrey. I don't think the photo does just of the looming nature, but take my word for it, these things tower over you as you drive past.

A little after Monterrey, we passed a convoy of Federal Police trucks. Those are automatic weapons they are sporting, some variation of M4. As we passed, I noticed that they had very active eyes, scanning every other vehicle on the highway that came near, not taking anything for granted. Recall that the border area is basically a war zone. Most of Mexico is pretty safe, as safe as the U.S., anyway, but I and my travel companions choose not to linger here. We're just passing through as quickly as possible.

Right this moment we are in Laredo, i.e., the U.S. side of the border. Hopefully, each of us will have completed his or her business today, and well head south for an overnight in Saltillo this afternoon. Then San Miguel de Allende and home.

I had a reverse culture shock moment this morning when I noticed there was no wastebasket next to the toilet and I could flush the toilet paper. Mexican plumping is medieval, but you get used to not flushing TP. Sorry, no pics for this one. Maybe I'll devote a blog posts to this topic some time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment